Monday, October 15, 2007

Yuck

Well, I finally did it. I'm in a Holiday Inn in south-central Louisiana and I swam in their pool. For the record, that's ME -- doing water-based exercise -- while on travel.

Unfortunately, the conditions weren't that great. The pool was big enough (barely), but the visibility was almost 4 ft. For you non-divers, we measure water conditions in terms of visibility: How far can you see while you're underwater. In the freshwater lakes I usually dive in vis is from 0' to 2'. In the Gulf it varies between 40 and 60'. In the Caribbean it's often 100-120'. The hotel pool was so turbid I couldn't clearly see my feet while I was floating on the surface, feet down.

I was going to use the treadmill, but it was broken. I considered running, but the only road is an Interstate access road and one of our team members was very nearly struck by a car running it this morning. So I'll probably swim it again, since I've dived in bodies of water I'd normally never consider swimming in, and braved God-knows-what kind of amoebas, planaria, and what-not without a thought. At least with a little chlorine the bacteria might be too stunned (stoned?) to hurt me.

This hotel sucks. I'm going to post bad things about it on travel websites to warn others away.

No comments: