Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Morning -- RAIN!

Well, you folks who were envying me for being in the sunshine while San Antonio was flooding can rest easy -- it's raining here. We're diving at noon anyway, but it's still a disappointment.

Yesterday we made two day boat dives and one night dive. The current was very strong on our second dive, and I surfaced a good distance from the boat and had to wait to be picked up. Might have been scary if I hadn't been between two other dive boats.

Most of my pictures this trip have been crap. My first dive I left my camera on the boat to keep from getting distracted, and I saw many things I wanted to take pictures of. Every other dive has been hard to find anything worth photographing. Also, the pics I take aren't looking good. The clear water is screwing with my settings (I know, poor baby!)-- either the flash won't go off because there's too much light or the flash overexposes the shot. I've gotten a little too close to a few animals (like a scorpionfish), but I didn't have the right lens on the camera and he ended up a little fuzzy.

We found a den where two 8' nurse sharks were resting and I got a few good pictures, but since I had to reach the camera down into the hole, I aimed too high and didn't get them centered. At least I saw them! They were beautiful, but they were the only sharks I've seen.

Last night we did a little dive off the shore of the hotel and saw a few little critters that were amusing (eels, pilot crabs, cleaner shrimp, and juvenile queen angelfish.) There was also a large cannon.

My knee was absolutely killing me -- We walked for about four and a half hours yesterday afternoon exploring downtown, after two boat dives and before the shore dive and I though I was going to lose the leg.

Well, gotta run. See you all!

2 comments:

psidrop1 said...

Que paso, mi hermano? Good to hear from you. I am writing to you from West Africa...Equatorial Guinea to be exact. I have been here for the last several days on business for the Company. I will be leaving this evening for Paris, returning to Houston. I love the blog, but had to smile when I read the line "...strapped on my first BC and got me hooked on diving." The double entendre is great...classic Kevin McLeod! Anyway, be safe on your trip and enjoying the diving. Talk to you soon...paz, mi hermano.

psidrop1 said...

BTW...psidrop1 = Drew