Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Be Careful in Coral Reefs

Dear Friend(s):

At the request* of my only known reader, I used some of my sophisticated photographic equipment to provide a close-up image of the coral burn I received in Cozumel. Unfortunately, the really close-up pics were either focused on leg hairs or showed nothing but slightly red skin. In either case, they were not appropriately dramatic for a blog such as this. I believe the picture included here is the most dramatic in my collection.

This completely unretouched photo is noteworthy in that a) it's gross, b) it shows that even after ten days coral stings leave a mark, and c) it's gross. I've discovered that I can make the burn itch by scratching it, make it hurt by scratching it harder or poking it with a pin, or completely forget it's there by not touching it.

I presume you're thinking, "Jeebus, doesn't this guy have anything better to do with his time, or have something meaningful to say?" To that offensive opinion I offer you a virtual smack in the face with a linen glove. I will, nonetheless, answer your questions:

No.


* OK, by "request" I should clarify that the topic of the leg came up tangentially in an email discussion and I threatened to (and actually did) post a close-up photo. Technically, it wasn't a request, per se.

No comments: