Sunday, June 03, 2007

Keepin' it Alive


Just wanted to post something new so you didn't lose interest.

I think I forgot to mention that our last day diving in Cozumel I got a little too close to some coral and got a nasty sting on my hand and leg. It wasn't too painful when I got it, but believe it or not I've still got a big red welt on my leg. I know you guys are curious, so I've taken the liberty of posting a pic. It itches a bit, but no real damage. This is why divers (smart ones, anyway) wear wetsuits even when the water's warm. If it had been a portugese man-of-war or some other free-floating jellyfish, it would have been much worse.

My other knee STILL hurts. I looked back through my posts, and saw that it first started hurting on May 27, after our four-hour walk. I'm worried about it, because every day I can't hit the gym or the treadmill or the pool at full capacity I'm losing an opportunity to build stamina for October. I couldn't finish my treadmill program this morning.

This afternoon I decided to say "bugger it all" and went down the hill to our community pool. I tried snorkeling, but there were too many kids that kept getting in the way so I strapped on my SCUBA gear. Keeping to the bottom let me avoid swimming into the sprogs and my tank was like a turtle's shell, ensuring they injured themselves if they dove down on top of me. Even with 1500# of air I got a good 1/2 hr of strong swimming in. I think I'll try to do this a few times a week after work: good for the legs and low-impact on the knees. I'm using my old Oceanic Vector blade fins. They're harder to kick with than my ScubaPro Twin Jets, but the additional resistance will help me out in the long run.

At the pool, my only worry was that the other adults would think that I was there to catch illicit views of their precious semi-aquatic disease vectors. I'm glad that second-stage regulators are designed to be puked through, because I did my very best to stay as far away from any living creature as possible.

I've scheduled some modifications to my SCUBA gear: I'm having the low-pressure inflator hose shortened 3" to accomodate my emergency air horn which will remove this big loop that develops over my left ear. I'm also having my computer/gauge console mounted to a quick-disconnect so I can separate it from my regulator and pack it safely in my carry-on.

No comments: