Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I CAN SO Take Underwater Pics!

Here are a few I'm proud of (click the pics for bigger versions):

This guy (girl?) is one of a pair of nurse sharks, about 9 ft long, that were resting deep in a coral cave in Cozumel, Mexico.




This beautifully colored monster is about 8" long and is called a "squirrelfish." Some of their family members have HUGE eyes. I've seen them in Cozumel and at the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (where this was taken).






This little (1") bastard got me in trouble with my dive buddy. I was determined to get a good shot using my macro (close-up) lens. Unfortunately, his burrow was underneath a rope fastened to the bottom, and my strobe cast a shadow that hit him directly. The strobe scared off a hammerhead shark that had been circling above me that I totally missed.

I am just a beginner, so my pics aren't perfect, but at least I'm not a total tard when it comes to capturing wildlife. I will say, though, that it's a HELL of a lot easier to get good wildlife pictures above water. Underwater photography isn't for sissies.


No comments: