Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Walking in Memphis

Yet another hotel swimming pool the size of a washtub. I guess I've got to get used to this. At least there's a decent fitness center (I went and inspected it). Hopefully I'll see it again.

Our hosts are providing lunches during our visit, and they're picking the food. Remember, I'm in Memphis. Monday it was FRIED CHICKEN (with cole slaw, baked beans, and PIE). They've already warned us that two days this week we're getting barbecue. I can almost guarantee that we'll have barbecue for dinner at least once this week.

Good news: Monday night I had four-cheese ravioli instead of BBQ or steak. Business travel makes it hard to watch what you eat. You have the opportunity to eat things that you can't get at home, and it's hard to rationalize eating the same old shit: Grilled chicken salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, etc. I also have a hard time throwing food away -- it's the way I was raised, plus I acknowledge the sacrifice of the animal I'm eating and feel an obligation to honor that sacrifice.

Tuesday morning I actually made it to the elliptical machine. Not as good as the one at work, but adequate. There's hope that at least this trip I won't backslide as much as I have during other trips.

These entries are getting boring. I'll be working on that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick up new Lisa/Elvis duet. No fried food! AnonymousMom

KevDiver said...

I'll look into the duet. I did score some Howlin' Wolf, Rufus Thomas, and Booker T. & the MGs. Classic Memphis Blues history!

As for fried food, I have to eat what's offered. Don't want to offend, you understand.