Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wednesday in Austin

Well, I heard through the grapevine that Mistress Amber survived her surgery and all that remains is for her to travel through the gauntlet of pain until she heals. Poor thing. But, she's been through worse, so she'll come through just fine. Also, she's probably got more friends and family than anyone I've ever met, so she's not hurting for moral support.

Anyway . . . . here I am in sunny, downtown Austin hacking away on my laptop. What a geek! I'm a block from Town Lake and its first-rate jogging trail, and I KNOW Mistress Amber would bitch-slap me if I passed up that opportunity. Hell, I might even bitch-slap myself -- nobody's around to see . . . . Naaaaah, don't even go there.

Ultimately, my plan is to hit the pool hard while I'm here. I'm glad it's an indoor pool so I won't have half the hotel as an audience while I flounder (no pun intended -- I don't intend to bury myself in muck on the bottom!) around without my customary diving gear. It's very disconcerting to swim gear-free when you're used to having both air and swim-aids (fins & a buoyancy compensator). I don't know why I'm concerned about being seen, but that's just how I am. It would be a different story if I was rigged up to dive. That's manlier. :) OK, I've changed my mind -- my real reason for being happy it's an indoor pool is because I don't have to worry about skin cancer. That's my story. Of course, if it's full of piss-streaming disease vectors I'll probably run down to the river and swim in the bat droppings. At least that'll be somewhat more hygienic.

Oh, yeah, the work-related reason I'm here is to attend an environmental law conference. I have attended this conference every year for more than ten years, and it's always excellent. I always run into people I've worked with at some point over the past 20 years.

Update: 8:45pm
OK, I'm gonna get thrashed. Or I'm going to stay fat & flabby & out-o-shape. I wasn't responsible after all. I looked at the pool, and it was about 2m wide by 15m long. If there had been one other person using it I wouldn't have been able to swim. Plus, it was outside after all. I looked in the fitness center and they had a lot of machines, but they were almost on top of each other. I'll try & run early tomorrow morning, if I can.

Hunger started to tweak at me so I went to a Vietnamese place not far from the hotel, on 6th St. Afterwards, the unmistakable sound of live blues music wafted over from a bar across the street. There was no cover charge, so I went in and bought a coke & listened to a blues trio, the Jamie Krueger Group, whip out a few tunes. Jamie's vocals are strong, and he was getting a great tone out of his vintage Fender Strat. Nice & meaty, with that particular edge you hear from Texas blues guitarists.

Now I'm back in the hotel room, back on the laptop, working on an audio project I've been wanting to finish for a while.

No comments: