Sunday, May 14, 2006

Cairns, QLD, Australia

OK, I know that many people will consider this heresy, but here goes: I'm not all that impressed with Cairns. I know that I'm over 40 and that my experience here was on a Sunday evening when most everything was closed, but I just didn't get it, and I didn't see where I could even go to get it. The city reminds me of one of the old beach towns on the Bolivar peninsula south of Galveston, Texas, only all grown up with a thriving tourism industry.

Tonight we successfully completed our laundry duties and have packed (mostly) for the boat. I've been trying to clear space on my largest digital camera card so that I don't have to miss a photo up in the rain forest where buying a new card simply isn't an option. Mark burned me a DVD of the photos on the card, but the paranoiac in me wanted to SEE the pics on the disc before I deleted them from the card. I know what it's like burning things to disc late at night. Excrement Occurs, as they say. But, I know that the contents were successfully copied onto their hard disk, so I'm going to leave it up to the gods to ensure that I get the photos home intact. I'm actually confident there won't be any problems. I'm sure that in either Mooloolaba or Sydney I'll be able to wrap up all of my digital issues.

Preparing for this trip, I bought several pieces of damn expensive specialty travel clothing -- clothes that can be hand-washed and dry quickly. Also, they wick moisture away from the body and are very well ventilated. Now these clothes were something less than an advantage in the chilly south, but up here I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I changed into shorts just as quickly as modesty would allow me and I'm cursing the cotton clothes that required another $3 dryer cycle to dry. Note that for your future reference.

I also bought a tank banger, since I've been having trouble getting peoples' attention underwater lately. That reminds me -- Cairns is a huge diving mecca -- it's one of the big launching points for expeditions to the reef. However, walking around the Esplanade area (the touristy area where all the shops are), I saw maybe two dive shops that had gear, and their selection wasn't as good as any of the dive shops in San Antonio. Now, again, I'm sure there are fantastic dive shops here, but they weren't located where it's easy for the tourists to find them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving keeping up with ya'll thru this link. the pictures really give me some idea as to what you are doing. have a great time. i'm glad you had the opportunity to do this. what a fantastic trip. all is well here. the dogs are great. penny is fine with no problems. enjoy!! mom p.s. can't wait to here about the dive.

Anonymous said...

You'll need the moisture-wicking underwear when you see you office upon your return...

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin - its Karen & Brenda. Clearly we're not having as much fun as you guys are but we are here working hard as ever (okay, quit laughing ... we are working). We did take a break from our hard working day to have lunch - nice hearty lunch at Rudy's , still smell like BBQ but its great.

Miss you - oops. I told Allan that I missed seeing your face around here and he broke out laughing, ha ha.

So, comment us back so we know you got this. And, remember....GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevDiver said...

I hear you loud & clear. 'Stoned-Hinge' should know that I already own plenty of moisture-wicking underwear. That's how I avoid that "not so fresh" feeling at the office every day.

Oh, yeah: Allan who?