Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cairns to Mooloolaba - Sun. 21 May

Our focus is returning to city life for the remainder of our trip, and the Sunshine Coast is a good transition from Far North Queensland to Sydney. The flight from Cairns to Brisbane except for two things. First, I got the opportunity to have a nice, long discussion with a lady from Brisbane, Joni, with whom I had a lot in common. Second, it felt like our plane had been shot down a few feet off the runway. It was one of the rougher landings I've experienced.

After driving to Mooloolaba (hereafter referred to as "this place" or "here"), things started going south. We arrived a little after eight pm, and drove around looking for our apartment. We finally found it, but the complex was completely locked-down. The office closed at 2:30pm on Sundays, we found out later. There was no answer at the reservations office when I called. We got back into the car and prepared to find alternative lodging for the night. I looked back and saw a man trying to get into the building, but having some difficulty. I got out of the car and asked him whether he knew how to contact the building manager.

"Yes, I'm the building manager," he said, "are you the people from Texas?"

I told him I was, and he grumbled and bitched about not knowing when we were arriving. Here was a drunken, one-armed man none too pleased to see us and we had to follow him around in order to get oriented. What a pleasure.

No comments: