Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sydney Overview - Thu 25 May

Sydney is unlike any part of Australia I've seen so far. It's crowded, busy, bustling, and wildly multicultural. In fact, I've met far fewer Australians here than anywhere else I've been. Most of the shopkeepers, tourists, etc., are from Asia or Europe or America.

This morning we tried to follow what worked well for us in Melbourne: We got a big-picture overview of the city by taking a harbor cruise then a bus tour. In the evening, we went on a ghost-themed walking tour of The Rocks, the oldest European settlement in Australia. Coincidentally, that's where we're staying. When I went to bed last night, the only light I saw was the reflection from the Sydney Opera House through our bedroom window. The long and the short of it is that we spent about 12 hours exploring Sydney and are going to have trouble figuring out the next step. I want to see Luna Park, tour the opera house, see the botanical gardens, and a couple of other things I've forgotten already.

We went to Bondi (pron. bond-eye) beach today on the bus, but it was pretty cold and only the hard-core surfers were out. The waves were pretty small, so it wasn't very busy.

Well, more tomorrow, I'm sure!

K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin - It doesn't appear anybody is leaving you comments. Out of site ~ out of mind. Kevin who?

I'm finally coming out of my depression over the Spurs loss to the Mavs. Guess I'll have to start cheering for the Suns and the Heat.

Sounds like a really great trip. Are you taking your anti-depressants now that it is almost time to re-enter the Simple Life?

Looking forward to seeing pictures. Oh, have you found Karen and my souvenirs yet?

Ciao!

KevDiver said...

I know -- people have been telling me that they're keeping up, but without abuse I can't be sure.

The Mavs beat the Spurs? I hadn't heard -- that is too bad. I'll have to get you to tell me the whole story.

I have no idea how I'm going to cope with my return to Texas. No idea. Librium? Thorazine? Valium? Whatever it takes, I guess.

And yes, I've picked up a few things here and there along the way. ;)