Thursday, May 11, 2006

From Melbourne to Newhaven (Phillip Island)

Yesterday (Thursday !!??!!), April & I drove from Melbourne south to Phillip Island, where we met up with Lesley & her kids. They have a beautiful house that overlooks the bay and Churchill Island.

I'm pleased to report that nobody was injured during the drive, and that although my fear of driving on the left side of the road faded rapidly once we got moving, I can't offer the same assurance regarding the other drivers on the road. The folks at Europcar upgraded us to a larger car (Ha! Look out, here we come!), a Mitsubishi Magna, and the ride was very comfortable. All in all, the most frustrating thing about driving here now is remembering that the turn signal is on the right side of the steering column and the windshield wipers are on the left. I almost never use the main rear-view mirror, as it's not where it's "supposed" to be.

It's interesting how different some of the vegetation is. Many of the plants and trees are new to me, and yet there are citrus trees (lemons, oranges) growing in our hosts' driveway. Oh well, I'm easily amazed, and amused.

I constantly forget that we're so far away from our normal orientation -- I forgot that a bank of north-facing windows does not, in fact, make a room colder as it would in the northern hemisphere.

1 comment:

KevDiver said...

If you aren't clear where Phillip Island is, read this Wikipedia entry.