Saturday, May 13, 2006

Leaving Victoria

Wow. A third of our trip is behind us. I can't look at it that way, though, because there's so much ahead. Still, though, our visit to Phillip Island has been so enjoyable that we are definitely rueing our departure. Our hosts have been magnificent -- Lesley, Mark, & the kids are absolutely the best. It was really gratifying to see how the bright, beautiful personality I saw in Lesley in high school has matured over time. April & I are indebted to Lesley's parents for providing us such wonderful accomodations, as well as for giving me a guide to the early-morning bird life of the island.

Last night we exchanged recipes. I made a huge pot of gumbo which, although not my best, was quite passable. I showed Lesley how to ignore the recipe I brought and how to make a roux the hard way. She showed us how to make a Pavlova -- a meringue/cream/passion fruit dessert that's an Australian tradition.

April is really concerned about her mom's dog Penny. Apparently, Penny and our dog Lizzie got into a disagreement of some sort and attempted to settle things in a most immature and unprofessional manner. It appears that Lizzie won the debate, but that Penny took away a few war wounds. I'm not sure how bad it is, but Penny's definitely in our thoughts right now. Lizzie will definitely have some 'splainin' to do when we get home.

It's nearly 5:00 in the morning here right now, and we've got a long drive to the Melbourne airport ahead of us, but I wanted to get this note off while I still have reliable access to the 'net. I don't know what we'll do during our half-day Sunday in Cairns, but I won't have any communication access between Monday morning and Thursday, so expect total silence from us during that time. Actually, if you have a copy of our itinerary then we gave you a contact number for the dive tour operator. In the event of a true emergency, you can contact them and they'll radio the boat.

Well, off we go again.

No comments: