Saturday, May 20, 2006

Departing Far North Queensland; Sunday 21 May

I'm sitting in the Cairns airport at an exorbitantly-priced Internet cafe waiting for my flight to board. This morning's activities included a leisurely awakening; a healthy breakfast of fresh tropical fruits, eggs, bacon, and a croissant; a calm stroll around the sanctuary bidding farewell to the animals; and watching live chickens being fed to saltwater crocodiles.

Yeah, I'm not kidding and I've got the video to prove it.

We drove back to Cairns from Daintree and stopped off at the Cairns Tropical Zoo. After staying at the Daintree Mangroves Wildlife Sanctuary, the zoo was a great disappointment. Now we're reconsidering going to Australia Zoo because the experience simply won't live up to what we've already experienced. How can holding a koala for two minutes for a photo compare with having a wallaroo joey hop up in your lap, curl up, and suck its thumb? We'll find something else to do, methinks.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: If you're considering visiting Far North Queensland, spend a couple of days at the Daintree Mangroves Wildlife Sanctuary. The atmosphere is so home-like and pleasant and you are so close to the animals that you can't help but have a memorable experience there. Gil & Donna are the most wonderful hosts, and the place just keeps getting better and better.

While you're up here (and I've remembered to add links), spend one night at the Cape Trib Farmstay. You can head north to Cooktown, west into the forest, or out into the bush. Regardless, you'll get the most marvellous fruit available!

Today we head to Brisbane and on to Mooloolaba. All I can think of right now is a shower and a laundry. My dive gear STINKS and I need somewhere dry where I can wash it (it was useless trying to dry anything in the tropics).

I now have cell phone access again, so you can reach me directly in an emergency, and I hope I'll have a little closer access to the Internet in Mooloolaba.

Cheers!

No comments: