Tuesday, May 09, 2006

First Post

Sorry about the delay - I finally made it to an actual computer. True to form, I killed another AC adaptor, this time to my Palm, which I WAS going to use to update this blog. It's standard procedure for me to either forget, lose, or destroy an AC adaptor when I travel.

Anyway, it's now Wednesday morning in Melbourne and I'll have to catch you up on our adventures.

Monday, we were still disoriented from the flight, so we went to the Melbourne Visitors Centre (an excellent resource, by the way), and booked a bus trip around town and out into the Dandenong mountains. That enabled us to sightsee and get spatially oriented while our internal clocks got re-set. We fed some Rosellas, cockatoos, and other parrot-like birds, and had tea. I got some great photos of us feeding birds from our hands and being used as a perch. We also tried Vegemite. Standard response for an American, I'm afraid -- not my favorite food-like substance. We did grab a sample or two to bring home.

Tuesday, we made a big circle around the central business district on the free city circle tram, visited Queen Victoria Market, and went to the Melbourne Aquarium. We also wore out a good bit of shoe leather, I assure you.

For lunch, we ate some fish & chips from the food court in the Queen Victoria Market. It wasn't very good at all. As we pushed further into the market, we saw what we missed -- stall after stall of delicatessens, specialty foods, and other goodies. Lesley has promised to take us for good fish & chips while we're on Phillip Island.

No comments: