Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sydney Harbour - Wed 24 May

Well, we made it. The "shuttle" from the airport was an experience. An experience right out of Bangladesh. Not that there were any Bangladeshis aboard the bus (our driver was a Filipino), but he would not leave until the 10 passenger bus held exactly 11 passengers, plus enough luggage to make us pop wheelies every time a stoplight was about to turn green. I wanted to call him a "retarded syphilitic pederaste" knowing he wouldn't understand what it meant (his English was -er- rudimentary), but my mouth was busy kissing the ground when he dropped us off and I forgot.

One big regret -- when we drove from the Brisbane airport to Mooloolaba, it was night time. When we drove from Mooloolaba to Beerwah to see the Australia Zoo, it was raining and cloudy. Today, driving from Mooloolaba back to Brisbane, the weather was clear and sunny, and I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of the Glasshouse Mountains west of the M1 highway. If you make it to this area, please take the opportunity to drive through the tourist roads (23 & 24) and take in the vistas from the lookout points they've created. It'll augment your karma -- I assure you.

What a shock. We went from off-season on the Sunshine Coast to the middle of a busy, bustling metropolis. I thought we'd get a gentle transition, but that's not what we got. Melbourne was quite genteel and manageable for us. Sydney is going to take a little orientation. That'll begin in a few minutes and get intense tomorrow. I'll post more then.

The B&B Sydney Harbour is a beautiful building. We're on the third floor and our room overlooks the circular quays and the opera house. It's a very old building, and has more character than any place I've stayed in a very long time.

Tonight I think we'll watch the Rugby match between the Queensland Maroons and the New South Wales Blue. From my experiences so far, I'll be rooting for the Maroons.

Mas Manana

No comments: