Saturday, May 13, 2006

Entering the Tropics

Wow. What a difference a 3-hr flight makes. We left a drizzly, foggy, chilly Phillip Island and landed in a balmy, sunny, 82F Cairns. We checked into the hotel and right now we are waiting for the hourly shuttle to town to pick us up to run some errands and visit the city. Tomorrow bright & early the reps from Mike Ball dive expeditions will be picking us up to take us to our little plane for our dive trip, so it's going to be an early night. We've got loads of laundry to catch up on and we need to pack our boat bags with only the absolute essentials: weight and space will be at a premium.

As much as I've been looking forward to this dive trip, I always hate leaving. Anywhere. So it was tough for me to put Victoria behind us. We received such a warm welcome and had an absolutely first-rate tour of the island that it will definitely be an experience I'll carry with me for a lifetime.

Unless I come back to blog tonight, I'll be offline for a few days. I know I'll be out of touch on the boat, and I have no idea whether the rainforest is equipped with high-speed Internet access (want to take bets?). At the very least I'll write some things out long-hand and post when I get to Mooloolaba. Note: The stresses in Mooloolaba are on the second and fourth syllable. So stress the toilet and the sheep. Just like the Aggies. :)

Peace & harmony to all you guys.

Kevin

No comments: