Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mooloolaba by Daylight; Sharks -- Mon 22 May

Damn. In a week I'll be home.

Today we poked around this place by daylight. Kind of a disappointment. How did I pick Moo-town again? Oh yeah -- on the coast, near Australia Zoo. I remember. I've been wondering if I really want to see another zoo, but April does so that's scheduled for tomorrow.

The big accomplishment for the day was me joining a group of divers going into the shark tank at Underwater World, an aquarium attraction owned and operated by the same people who run the Melbourne Aquarium. I think Underwater World is much better -- it seemed bigger, more creative, and more informative.

The dive was a typical aquarium dive -- double weighting, no fins, and no touching allowed. There were a couple of large leopard rays, several black rays, a wobbegong shark, a shark ray, a tawny nurse shark, and a couple of really big (about 8 ft) grey reef sharks (if I remember correctly). The only sharks I saw while diving the actual reef itself were a few small white tipped reef sharks, and I wanted to experience something bigger. You definitely see sharks differently when there's nothing between you and them but water. I wasn't scared, but I could feel my pulse quicken when one locked its eyes on me and came right at my head. I'm glad I got the experience. Not a formal "dive" under PADI rules, but it's going in my logbook anyway.

Now that I've used my scuba gear for the last time this trip, it all gets a thorough cleaning and airing out. We'll soon be ready for Sydney.

No comments: